Getting the Schengen Visa from Newyork on Advance Parole status

Shurap1

Hi,

I have used Advance Parole for entry to US. Me and my wife are planning to go to Switzerland for few days for vacation. My question is can we apply for Schengen Visa (mainly at Swiss consulate) from New York?

Did anyone got the visa before?

The swiss consulate instruction says nothing about advance parole. Here is the text on their website:

"Please note: only foreign residents and foreign students in the United States who have a valid

permanent resident card or U.S. visa (e.g. categories F1 (I-20), H1B, G1, J1, etc.) may apply for a visa. If you have a B1 and/or B2 visa, you must apply in your country of residence."

Thanks,

Parshu

Yep, you can get that on parole. I got schengen visa to Europe on Parole last year. Swiss folks have their own visa though, atleast several years ago I had to get a seperate visa for Switzerland in addition to Schengen. I dont think this has changed.

Originally posted by Shurap1:

Hi,

I have used Advance Parole for entry to US. Me and my wife are planning to go to Switzerland for few days for vacation. My question is can we apply for Schengen Visa (mainly at Swiss consulate) from New York?

Did anyone got the visa before?

The swiss consulate instruction says nothing about advance parole. Here is the text on their website:

"Please note: only foreign residents and foreign students in the United States who have a valid

permanent resident card or U.S. visa (e.g. categories F1 (I-20), H1B, G1, J1, etc.) may apply for a visa. If you have a B1 and/or B2 visa, you must apply in your country of residence."

Thanks,

Parshu

Thanks guys. Ultimately I did not do my homework before booking the air tickets and now realized that Schengen countries do not recognize the 20 year valid passport anymore. Indian government back in 2000 used to issue 20 year valid passports. Now the air tickets have been booked I realized this and have to get passport renewed and already hearing that if I go to Newyork Indian Consulate they issue only 1 year passport if you do not have a valid visa or green card. Since I am on Parole not sure if I will get 1 year or 10 year visa. What a ****!

Can't even cancel tickets as I will have more than $1000 in penalty.

I renewed my passport in Houston office and got a 10 year based on EAD/AP.

Passport expiration date should not hinge on your visa status in a foreign country. (my 2 cents)

Thanks guys. Ultimately I did not do my homework before booking the air tickets and now realized that Schengen countries do not recognize the 20 year valid passport anymore. Indian government back in 2000 used to issue 20 year valid passports. Now the air tickets have been booked I realized this and have to get passport renewed and already hearing that if I go to Newyork Indian Consulate they issue only 1 year passport if you do not have a valid visa or green card. Since I am on Parole not sure if I will get 1 year or 10 year visa. What a ****!

You booked your tickets before you got the visa? I know you need 6 months of time left before expiration before you approach for a visa, but did not know they have a problem with 20 yr renewed passport. I am sure Indian embassy can fix that, but you have to travel there personally.

are you travelleing to Switzerland ONLY? if so Schengen visa is NOT valid there.

"are you travelleing to Switzerland ONLY? if so Schengen visa is NOT valid there."'

Not true any longer.

On 27 Novemer 2008 the mixed committee of the JHA (Council of ministers for Justice and Home affairs) decided in Bruxelles that the Schengen and Dublin association agreements of Switzerland have been fully implemented on Friday 12 December 2008. From this date on Schengen visa are accpeted to enter Switzerland.

Hi Shurap1,

The Indian consulate issues a 1 year passport at first. After you get the passport, wait for a couple of months and then apply for an extension. They will then extend the validity of the passport by 10 years. This is what happened to me when I applied for an Indian passport, while I was on AP.

Good Luck

Originally posted by ohio_r_b:

You booked your tickets before you got the visa? I know you need 6 months of time left before expiration before you approach for a visa, but did not know they have a problem with 20 yr renewed passport. I am sure Indian embassy can fix that, but you have to travel there personally.

are you travelleing to Switzerland ONLY? if so Schengen visa is NOT valid there.

Air ticket is one of the required document to apply for Schengen visa.

Nice to know Switzerland recognizes Schengen now! When I applied for Schengen visa (German embassy) they insisted on itenerary only so I went to a travel agent and got them to setup the reservation and did not pay/book it until I got the visa. Anyways - Indian embassy will issue you a passport for 10 years validity and you should be able to get the visa now.

I have submitted my passport to Indian consulate today and asked the lady if I will get 10 year valid passport and she told me Yes. Not sure in reality what I will be receiving. I will update here once I receive my passport.

• 2 weeks later...

I have submitted my passport to Indian consulate today and asked the lady if I will get 10 year valid passport and she told me Yes. Not sure in reality what I will be receiving. I will update here once I receive my passport.

Today I received my renewed passport and it is valid for another 10 years...lucky me. I will apply for Schengen visa probably next week and will update here on how it goes.

• 3 weeks later...

Today I received my renewed passport and it is valid for another 10 years...lucky me. I will apply for Schengen visa probably next week and will update here on how it goes.

Today me and my wife went to Swiss Consulate at NY and we had no issues there. They were very friendly. In fact we had some problem with travel medical insurance letter, the guy over the counter gave enough information and send us downstairs to FedEx office where I could get the new travel insurance and print the required letter.

Key point is that they also recognize the Advance Parole document as valid status/travel document.

I was told to collect the passports on Jun 14.

Archived