impact of Domestic Violence on GC

Hi,

I had a big argument with my wife and in anger my wife broke few plates and I I broke a vase at home. She called the cops in anger and they charged me with simple assault and breaking glass at home. No restraining orders though. I have a court case soon. My wife is now regretting her impulsive calling the police as she thought it might be similar to India where police comes and issue warning and will go. What should we do next ? She is ready to take all the charges back. But the case is State vs Me not her vs me. Please advice how to go from here ? I am going to file my I-485 next month as my date is current. What impact can this have on my 485 and chance of getting GC ?

"My wife is now regretting her impulsive calling the police as she thought it might be similar to India where police comes and issue warning and will go"

This is strange. Has this actually happened to you in India? Stop relying on a forum and give the firm of Murthy or any of your choice a call. Make sure to tell your Criminal Attorney that you are intending to migrate. You do have an Attorney?

No it didn't happen to me in India before. This is the first time its happening. My wife probably has seen these kind of thing happening in India so she did it. When she saw police arresting me she got afraid and even asked the officers not to arrest. Its a long weekend and none of the lawyers office is open so I am posting it here to get some feedback. I have attorneys number and will contact them tomorrow. Meanwhile if somebody can give us some suggestion that will be helpful.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

my friend was also in the same phase waiting for trial. Attorney suggested him that as long as wife doesn,t testify against him there are gud chances of not finding guilty. dont panic too much and give calls to immigration lawyers they charge lot of money unnecessarily.

First you have to hire the defense attorney ASAP. Then your wife should talk to the proseccutor about that she did not want you to be arrested but because of the emotional situation she thought she might warn you this way. She should talk with the your attorney and the prosecutor about the case should be dimissed. This may help the situation.

• 9 months later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 2 years later...