Automatic Revalidation from Canada to USA after 2 change of status

amox

Hello,

I’m currently in the U.S. under H1B status, but the visa stamp in my passport is still for H4 status. I initially entered the U.S. on an H4 visa in 2015, changed to F1 in 2022, and then to H1B in 2024. I have not left the U.S. since these changes of status, so my visa stamp remains for H4.

I’m planning a short trip to Canada and I want to return to the U.S. with an expired visa stamp. I’ve read about automatic visa revalidation (AVR) and am wondering if I would qualify given my current situation. I have a valid I-797A approval notice showing my H1B status, this form also has my I-94 number

Note that when I try to get my latest I-94 on this webiste: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home , I see my old H4 visa details as follows:

Arrival/Issued Date : 2018 April 09
Class of Admission : H4
Admit Until Date : 07/20/2019

Not sure if this affects the "validity" of my I-94

Would my H4 visa stamp still allow me to re-enter the U.S. through AVR, given that I’ve gone through two status changes? I plan to stay in the contiguous territory for fewer than 30 days, and I will not apply for a new visa during this trip.

For reference, here’s the part of the regulation I’m looking at regarding automatic revalidation:

22 CFR 41.112(d):
"In cases where the original nonimmigrant classification of an alien has been changed by DHS to another nonimmigrant classification, the validity of an expired or unexpired nonimmigrant visa may be considered to be automatically extended to the date of application for readmission, and the visa may be converted as necessary to that changed classification."

Has anyone else been in a similar situation with multiple changes of status but using the AVR rule to re-enter on their previous visa stamp? I'd appreciate any insights!