Automatic Revalidation for Travel to Canada and Return to the US

Vik0811

Hello,

I need assistance with some clarifications regarding Automatic Visa Revalidation (AVR).

My H1B visa stamping has expired, but my I-94 (attached at the bottom of the I-797 approval notice) is valid until March 2027. I also hold a valid Canadian visa for myself and my family.

My wife and daughter are in the same situation: they have expired H4 visa stamps but valid I-94s until March 2027. We need to travel to Canada for three weeks and return to the US using Automatic Visa Revalidation. I assume that the paper I-94 on the I-797 takes precedence over the online one, which only gets updated when traveling outside the US and returning.

Could someone please provide guidance on the following points?

1. Application Process for AVR: Is there a specific process to apply for Automatic Visa Revalidation, as the official site does not mention H1B visas explicitly? Or do we simply proceed to the immigration desk at the US port of entry and present our documents as usual?

2. Visa Stamp and Valid I-94: Is an expired visa stamp in the passport acceptable, provided there is a valid I-94 for using AVR at the US port of entry? Show original I797, passport and other documents at immigration

3. Airline Concerns: Could there be issues with the airline issuing a ticket or boarding pass since we do not have a valid US visa stamp on our passports?

4. AVR Usage for Subsequent Trips: Can AVR be used again if we travel to Mexico after our trip to Canada and then return to the US?

For reference, here is the link to the USCIS information on Automatic Revalidation: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/visa-expiration-date/auto-revalidate.html

Thanks

1. There is no special process needed. You just enter as normal and present the documents.

2. Yes. That's the whole point of AVR -- to allow you to re-enter despite an expired visa or visa of the wrong type.

3. Airlines are told they are allowed to board people who meet the conditions of AVR. But it's always possible to run into an ignorant staff member. Given this is a Canadian airport, they should occasionally get people using AVR so it shouldn't be a surprise to them.

4. Yes