Lost my student visa

Recommended Posts

"If you’ve lost your F-1 visa while in the United States, here are the steps you should take:

  1. Police Report:

    • Visit your local police station and report your lost or stolen documents (passport, visa, etc.).
    • Provide copies of the original documents if available.
    • You’ll receive a police report detailing the incident. Make sure to keep an extra copy for your records.
  2. Replace Lost/Stolen Arrival/Departure Record (Form I-94):

    • If you were issued a paper Form I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record) and it was lost or stolen, you must get it replaced immediately.
    • Visit the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) website to file for a replacement I-94.
    • You can find the application form at the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website and information about the I-94 at the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) website.
  3. Report Lost/Stolen Passport to Your Embassy:

    • Contact the local embassy or consular section of your home country.
    • Inquire about the procedure to replace a lost or stolen passport.
    • Most countries have websites with contact information.
  4. Report Lost/Stolen Visa to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate Abroad:

    • Email the Consular Section at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate that issued your visa.
    • Include your full name, date of birth, place of birth, U.S. address, and email address (if available).
    • Clearly state whether the visa was lost or stolen.
    • If you have a copy of the passport or visa, scan and email it to the embassy or consulate.
    • If known, provide the category of visa and the passport number from the lost/stolen visa.
    • Remember that lost or stolen U.S. visas cannot be replaced within the United States. You must apply in person at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad for visa replacement1.

Additionally, if your F-1 visa becomes damaged or is lost or stolen while you’re in the U.S., it can only be replaced the next time you travel abroad. While abroad, you must apply for a new F-1 visa before reentering the U.S. in F-1 status2. Keep your other valid documents (passport, I-20, and I-94) handy during this process."


Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.