Company closes down within a month of getting GC

Jasmine99

Hello,

I have come to know that one should stay with the sponsoring employer for about 6 months to a year after getting GC. However in my case the company got bought out by another and hence will cease to exist a month after getting my GC. In this case, would I be in trouble when I appear for naturalization? Can I join another company without getting into any disadvantage later?

Just to clarify, are you saying you have already received your green card, and then learned that the company would be shutting down? If that's the case, you likely will be in the clear. It is certainly an issue that could be raised by USCIS, but it generally would not prevent you from becoming naturalized.

If, on the other hand, you expect to have your GC approved soon and learned that your sponsoring company will close shortly after you receive it, you should contact an attorney BEFORE the GC is approved.

Hi Murthy Law Firm Attorney 23,

i am in same situation, my company is selling a department to other company , last week i got my 485 approved probably would receive the cards in my hand this week,

still working for same company but no idea how long will it go ( new company is planning to offer me same role but i am not interested),my question is if my old company give me laid off notice in one or two months, would i be in trouble or not?

Thanks

Archived