H1-B to H4 to H1-b

Recommended Posts


I've two questions. I'm currently in 2nd year of H1-b and I recently lost my job during my company's Layoffs.

1) To convert to H4, should my husband's employer be filing the change of status or should we be doing it?

2) After filing for H4, how soon can I convert back to H1 if I find an employer who is willing to sponsor H1-B Visa? Should I wait for approval of H4 or can I  immediately convert back?

Thanks in Advance

Link to comment

Ans. 1 - I think you will have to file for H4 (either by yourself OR with the help of an attorney).  Your husband's company HR may help too.  Try asking them first.

Ans. 2 - Once you find an employer, he will have to file COS (change of status) and convert you back to H1b with either H4 receipt notice or approval (whatever available at the time).  You can start your work with the new employer only after approval of H1b.  

Good Luck.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.