Naturalization for Child under 18 years

I am in the process of applying for citizentship. My daughter is 11 years old and I understand that I dont need to apply for her citizenship separately as she will become a citizen automatically once our citizenship is approved. Questions:

1. When do I apply for the Certificate of Citizenship for her?

2. Do I need the certificate of citizenship or is a US passport sufficient for her.

3. To apply for a US passport for her,  do I need the certificate of Citizenship

4. Is the US Passport faster than getting the Certificate of Citizenship.

On 12/31/2023 at 1:56 PM, questforgc said:

I am in the process of applying for citizentship. My daughter is 11 years old and I understand that I dont need to apply for her citizenship separately as she will become a citizen automatically once our citizenship is approved. Questions:

2. Do I need the certificate of citizenship or is a US passport sufficient for her.

3. To apply for a US passport for her,  do I need the certificate of Citizenship

You can apply for the naturalization certificate for your daughter as soon as your naturalization is approved. However, most people seek the U.S. passport first, then the certificate. It is recommended to obtain both, the passport and the certificate. 

On 12/31/2023 at 10:56 AM, questforgc said:

At any time after she becomes a US citizen. (She automatically becomes a US citizen when you become a US citizen, if she is a green card holder, under 18, she is your biological or adoptive child, and she is living in the US in your legal and physical custody.) Or you don't ever have to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship. Whether a Certificate of Citizenship is applied for or not has no effect on the fact that she is alrady automatically a US citizen.

You don't have to get either one. And either one can by itself serve as proof of US citizenship. US passport is more useful as it can be used for international travel, and is cheaper and faster to get.

No

Yes