NEW USCIS proposal on Speciality Occupation

patty1991

Below are my details before proceeding with the query that I have.

Bachelors : Bachelors in Pharmacy (Science Background - 2008--2012)
Masters: Masters in Chemistry (Science Background - 2013--2015)

I have been working in the US as a Software Engineer since 2015 and according to the new proposal, they are planning to narrow down the definition of Specaility Occupation. Please find the link below.

Below is the statement from the proposal.
" DHS proposes to add language to the definition of “specialty occupation” clarifying that the required specialized studies must be directly related to the position. DHS also proposes to add language stating that a position is not a specialty occupation if attainment of a general degree, such as business administration or liberal arts, without further specialization, is sufficient to qualify for the position, and that a position may allow a range of degrees or apply multiple bodies of highly specialized knowledge, provided that each of those qualifying degree fields or each body of highly specialized knowledge is directly related to the position."

I have below questions on the same.

1. Since I do not have any degree related to IT but equivalent experience, does it reduce my chances of H1b extension in 2025?
2. Does having a masters degree in Computer Science now before applying for the extension in 2025 help in extending my H1b visa in 2025?
3. Does USCIS/DHS consider a masters degree before getting the H1b or will it consider if I complete the masters now before my extension as a valid MAsters degree?
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

While data science is not exclusively a subfield within computer science, training in data science incorporates some of the same technical knowledge and programming proficiencies that are integral to computer science.

Once you get your degree, have your whole "education + experience" including Masters in Data Analytics evaluated by an accredited agency.  Good Luck!

Edited by Zodiac System