Out of US for 3 yrs but still received Green Card !

Recommended Posts

I left US in 2008 and at that time my AOS application was pending with IRS. I had completed my fingerprinting, etc before I left US.

I have been living in India for last 3 yrs, but was informed yesterday by my friend in US (whose address I was using to receive mail from IRS) that my Green Card has arrived in mail.

Can I use this Green Card for travelling to & work in US ? Would the immigration officer in US allow me to enter US even though I have been out of US for last 3 yrs ?

Thanks !


Link to comment

Did you consult a lawyer? Are you planning to go to US with your new GC? Please update.

My instinct says you might be allowed to enter because having physical GC in hand gives you lot of + when you enter. And after my analysis of POE procedures by CBP, looks like there would be an issue only if you overstay outside US since the "Resident Since" stay.

Also, looks like CBP doesn't have accurate records of all the past departures & entries due to the inefficiencies in thir database systems like NIIS, APIS, etc which actually store the travel records.

Link to comment

I heard that Lawful Permanent Residents who stay outside of the U.S. for 6 months or more at a time are risking losing their I-551 Green Card (Lawful Permanent Residence) to airport immigration officials when they try to re-enter America.

However, if a loved one is very ill and needs help, sometimes there is no way to avoid being outside the U.S. for an extended period of time. One way to help prevent the loss of Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) status due to an extended trip abroad is to apply for a special two year I-131 â€Re-Entry Permit†before leaving the U.S.

Link to comment


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.