Affidavit of Support for unemployed petitioner and beneficiary

Hello,

I have been living and working in the United States for about 18 years on H1B and I have earned 40 social security credits. My 21 year old son is a college student, a U.S. Citizen and doesn't have an income, he is filing for my immigration application, starting with I-130, followed by I-485, I-765, I-131 and I-864W (probably because I have 40 credits, does he need to file I-864 regardless?). Together he is also filing for my spouse who is a homemaker and doesn't have any income. Could I use my 40 SSA credits for my spouse and submit I-864W for her too? Or could I (also a beneficiary) and my son (petitioner and sponsor) jointly co-sponsor my spouse because I am the head of household taking care of the family including my son. Would I be eligible to be a co-sponsor my spouse considering I am also a beneficiary? Any advice would be appreciated. Please let me know what would be the steps and what forms (I-864/I-864A/I-86W) need to be submitted for me and my spouse.

No, the petitioner does not need to file I-864 if the beneficiaries file I-864W. For the spouse's credits, consider the period the spouses were married; was 40 credits earned by the working spouse during that period of time? Usually, if the working spouse was working, then they earn 4 credits per year, so if they were married for more than 10 years and the working spouse was working the whole time, then there should be 40 credits.

21 hours ago, H1BUser24 said:

@newacct, Thank you. My son is the petitioner and I am the working beneficiary, working in the United States for 15 years. My spouse (non working, no income) is also a beneficiary. We have been married all 15 years while working. In that scenario, would my spouse and I be able to file I-864W?

Thanks!

Yes, you guys should be able to file I-864W's.

@newacct, thank you for response. 

I have been working in the United States for 15 years and have enough SSA credits. My spouse (homemaker/unemployed) and I have been married all 15 years while I was working in the US. I was reading the I-864W instructions (please see attached highlighted), it says, a spouse will be credited with quarters worked by her working spouse during the marriage. My question is, how do I produce my spouse's SSA credits? Today my spouse called the SSA support number, they said she didn't have any credits as she never worked and earned credits. If we file I-864W for my spouse, how would we substantiate her SSA credits?

Using I-864W for spouse.png