L2Y - Dependent Child EAD (I765) and SSN process

Recommended Posts


My son is in L2 visa (age-18) studying in college. I went for SSN office to apply his SSN and they said to get EAD thru i765. When I check i765 application form there is no option  for L2Y dependent children as the eligibility category for applying in i765 form is only L2 Spouse. Please suggest how should I get EAD for my son in this category L2Y post that to get SSN for him. EAD required for student internship program and SSN is required for federal student financial aid purpose. Appreciate your help in this.

Link to comment

While L2Y status holders ( (children of L1 visa holders) are able to study in the U.S., they are unfortunately not able to apply for / obtain a I-765 Work Authorization Document and therefore are not able to work in the U.S.  In order to obtain work authorization your child would need to change to a different immigration status which allows for it.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.