Visa stamping - DUI - Physician Panel - Sputum AFB test

Hi, 

After 8 years, I came to India to attend the visa stamping at Chennai consulate. 

Dropbox - June 21 2023

Refused - June 24 2023

Received 221G - July 12 2023, to appear in-person on July 19 2023

Went to in-person on July 19th and VO asked standard questions and since I have had DUI in 2015 (finished Physician panel then) - he handed me the 221G and also asked me to do physicals again at Apollo hospitals.

Got the appointment for July 20 2023, and did the physicals. Later that evening, the hospital called and advised, since my chest X-ray had some abnormalities - the doctor wanted me to do Sputum AFB Smear & Culture for 3 days. Smear takes 24 hours to know the result; and culture takes 7-8 weeks to know the results. Looks like upon discussion with the doctor, they are doing this as the chest X-ray revealed a small scar in my lung (fibrosis) and to eliminate the TB diagnosis. 

I have done the 3 days sputum test and now waiting for the results. This is really making me so stressed as the timelines is not definite. I am reading a lot in the CDC website and getting so many thoughts. I do not have any symptoms and did a second opinion and the pulmonologist advised to do an HRCT and it did not show any symptoms and he asked me to do a blood test to confirm it is some sort of allergy disorder. The blood work came in as negative.

CDC site: https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/panel-physicians/tuberculosis.html ---- especially the Tuberculosis Classifications and Travel Clearance section.

1. No TB Classification - Applicants without current clinical findings of tuberculosis disease, without known HIV infection, and with a normal chest x-ray (and for applicants who require it, a negative IGRA) with normal tuberculosis disease screening examinations. Travel clearance is valid for 6 months from the time the evaluation is complete. What does this mean - would the visa be issued only for 6 months, though I have I797 validity till July 2025? 

2. Anyone has gone through this before? If so, how much time did it take overall?

3. Every time from now on, when I come for stamping in India, do I have to go through this process? (Note: hoping the visa stamping from end of this year within US would help)

Please advise. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

After 8 years, I came to India to attend the visa stamping at Hyderabad consulate. 

Dropbox - May 09 2023

Got a email to come for in-person interview on June 15 2023 . I had a DUI on May 24 2021 I have completed all the programs except for my 24 hrs community service . So , The VO has given me 221g to go for medical exam and told me to send all the court documents to HydAdmin@state.gov through mail and i have gone through the medical on June 20 2023 and have attached all the documents on the same day itself  . I have went to medical at CMM  as specified in 221g and medicals was sent to consulate by June23 2023 as per CMM   . I am still waiting for the reply from my consulate .do anybody are in same boat please reply .

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

@gowrlap oh my god! it's been 2 months from the time, reports were sent to the US Consulate?

Did you check, if you have gotten a 221G to submit the passport, if the consulate has received the report from Medicals? Because, normally that's the process - once the consulate gets the report, they will issue a 221G to you asking to submit the passport along with Medical reports, if you have gotten it (if the hospital has sent it directly, then you dont have to do anything).

did you confirm from CMM, that they have sent the report to consualte?

Also, send an email to the emailbox - mentioning the current status. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@gowrlap, @mrav85 - I have completed my Medicals in Chennai Apollo hospitals today. But the VO only gave the instruction document to complete the Medicals. The hospital folks did not take my passport. They told that they will send the reports to Consulate directly. So my question— How do I Submit my passport to Consulate? Do they reach out to me via Paper mail or Email for the next steps? Also do I need to go in person to drop passport again? (I do not reside in Chennai, need to make my travel plans). Please let me know. Thank you. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2023 at 12:55 PM, User131092 said:

@gowrlap, @mrav85 - I have completed my Medicals in Chennai Apollo hospitals today. But the VO only gave the instruction document to complete the Medicals. The hospital folks did not take my passport. They told that they will send the reports to Consulate directly. So my question— How do I Submit my passport to Consulate? Do they reach out to me via Paper mail or Email for the next steps? Also do I need to go in person to drop passport again? (I do not reside in Chennai, need to make my travel plans). Please let me know. Thank you. 

Hospital won’t take the passport. You will be asked to submit after the VO reviews the medical report and  you will be getting a new 221G to submit passport. 

yes - you have to go in person to submit to VAC. 

On 11/8/2023 at 9:27 AM, duser321 said:

@user131092 HI What happened after you gone for medicals, how long it took.

I went inperson interview in chennai and have my medicals in chennai, what would be the next steps.

will they request for the passport submission?

Please share your experience.

Yes, after the medical reports are sent by Apollo to the consulate (when the hospital sends it, they will normally give a call stating reports are being sent). Post the consulate receives it, they will issue another 221G to submit it the passport. Once you submit it at the VAC, you will get it back in few days.

On 11/16/2023 at 3:04 AM, Unluckydui said:

@User131092

HI,

I am going to chennai for my first time H1b visa stamping and needed some guidance on what I can expect and what are the steps. I dont have much time to spend in India as my employer has some restrictions. Please help me! 

There is no strict timelines or process defined. You got to have some buffer to travel back. With holidays around, plan it ahead. 

if you are doing first time H1B, it will pop up when the VO interviews.

you will get 221G with a case number and you will be asked to do medicals at APHC (Apollo personalized health check)

call for the appointment the same day for the next day (mostly you will get it)

The person who handles US visa medicals  at the Apollo hospitals, will return your call and provide you with all docs needed

appear for the interview on the 4th floor and finish medicals

once panel physician and Psych evaluation is done, they will consolidate the medicals report and send it to US consulate (at this time they should be giving a call letting you know they are submitting reports)

you ll get 221G after the VO reviews the report to have you submit passport

goto VAC and submit the passport and wait for couple of days to get it issued 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I had my drop box on the 17th of January 2024, VISA refused on February 6th due to arrest record from a dismissed DUI (2021). Went for in person interview in Chennai and they asked me to do psychological evaluation at Apollo, the doctors at Apollo said it will cost 16,000 INR and will take 5-6 hours! What are they going to do for 5 hours, does this include a drug test as well? please advise. @mrav85 @gowrlap

Panel physician will perform basic testing, X-rays, and a psychiatrist would do an assessment and write a report. Both the physician evaluation and the report from the psychiatrist would then be combined and sent to the consulate from the hospital. 

As far as I am aware, there is no drug test. Can vary from situation to situation. 

if everything looks good, you will get a 221G to submit your passport for visa to be issued. 

9thFeb 2024 (Friday) - VAC appointment - Hyderabad consulate

Officer called out that she needed more time to review my documents.

Gave 221G to submit arrest related documents, disposition and blood report.

Gave the passport back.

Suggested that this will take time.

Question Asked

What happened?

When did the blood report come back?

Did you have any Bail or Jail time?

Who do you work for?

Where you on F1?

How many years have you worked for your company?

What is your salary?

What do you work as- Title?

9thFeb2024 (Friday)- By afternoon got another email from Hyderabad consulate.

221G to take medical panel at CMM

12thFeb2024 (Monday)- Took Medical panel (Blood+ Chest X Ray + Psychological evaluation)

15thFeb2024 (Thursday)- CMM submitted reports to Hyderabad consulate

20thFeb2024 (Tuesday)- Administrative processing - Status

Not sure what to expect next. If anyone is in the same boat or has experience from past please let me know.

Edited by rome123