Citizenship eligibilty for my daughter

Hi,

I have a question regarding my daughter's eligibility for Citizenship.

I got my green card 2018 Dec, by Dec 23 I will be completing 5 years, so I am planning to apply for Citizenship. But, my daughter will be completing 18 years by Jan 24.

Question is - should I wait to apply for my Citizenship until my daughter turns 18 (since it is only one month from the date I complete 5 years and her 18th birthday)? or would that be a problem applying for her Citizehsip after she turns 18?

Thanks for yor time

• 2 months later...
On 5/8/2023 at 9:31 AM, gcdude said:

Hi,

I have a question regarding my daughter's eligibility for Citizenship.

I got my green card 2018 Dec, by Dec 23 I will be completing 5 years, so I am planning to apply for Citizenship. But, my daughter will be completing 18 years by Jan 24.

Question is - should I wait to apply for my Citizenship until my daughter turns 18 (since it is only one month from the date I complete 5 years and her 18th birthday)? or would that be a problem applying for her Citizehsip after she turns 18?

Thanks for yor time

If you become a US citizen (i.e. the oath) before she turns 18, and she is a permanent resident living in the US in your legal and physical custody at that time, she automatically becomes a US citizen, without needing any application or any other action needing to be taken.

However, the naturalization process likely takes a year or more these days, so even if you file at the earliest you can file (which is 90 days before you meet the 5-year continuous residence requirement), there is pretty much no way you can take the oath before she turns 18. So it makes no difference if you file before or after she turns 18; she is not going to get automatic citizenship through you either way.

Your daughter, if she meets the requirements, can apply for naturalization as an adult any time after she turns 18, if she wishes.