Travel to US after staying 14 days in another country

Kumar Goud

Due to recent travel ban. H1 B visa holders whose Visa is going to expire in the month of June are in trouble. Is it allowed to travel US after staying 15 days in other countries like Mexico.  H1B visa holders are allowed to transit from Paris or Frankfurt to reach Mexico City.

Edited by Kumar Goud

Latest information suggests that European carriers are not allowing transit to Mexico via Europe unless you have a Mexican visa (US visa as a substitute is not accepted temporarily).  This appears to be an arbitrary rule due to the pandemic. 

So the only practical way to reach Mexico City in a single transit would be via Turkish airlines.  There are some double transit options, but not sure whether they are allowed.   And it is better to have all flight and hotel reservations for the duration of stay in advance including, any domestic Mexico travel (MEX to Cancun for example) and then MEX/Cancun to US. 

The other way is to go via Egypt and spend 14 days there, which as of now, still allowing Indians to visit without quarantine, but with negative Covid test.

Also Mexico may not allow H1b visa holders with advance parole or with H1b visa extension.  You may want to check with appropriate authorities.

At present transit is not allowed in countries which have nonstop flights from India in Europe (LH, BA, AF, KL, Swiss) and have flights to Mexico.  Only flight options to Mexico I can think of are:

Turkish airlines via Istanbul (single transit)

Qatar airlines via Doha and Madrid (double transit) - may be doubtful here, not sure if Spain allows transits for Indians to Mexico.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/17/2021 at 1:08 AM, Siva_k said:

Do people in H1B are allowed in port of entry in US when they stay in third country for 14 days ?

Any  people like to share their travel experience ?

I did reach out to an attorney and asked the same question, you are allowed to enter. 

At this time I am also exploring options to stay in a third country for 14 days and then get to US. 

Emirates have an option from Dubai to Mexico City with a stop at Barcelona for 2.5 hrs, same flight number but needs to change to another flight there.

I will start a new topic on this and see if we get any more details on this.

• 1 month later...