GC renewal issue while N400 pending

I tried searching for this but couldn't find a good answer. Here is our situation:

1. Submitted N400 recently. Decision time shows as June 2020

2. Our GC expires in July 2020

3. Current GC renewal time is 11-12 months. 

4. USCIS recommends applying for GC renewal close to 6 months to expiry

How do I reconcile #3 and #4? It seems if our citizenship doesn't come in time, we will end up with an expired GC for a while (up to 5-6 months). And my job requires frequent international travels. So would love to hear from the gurus if there is something I am missing/ any way to resolve this potential gap when I can't travel. 

Thanks!

Decision times for N400 are not always accurate

Your frequent travel will make it complicated in case your N400 takes a long time (for GC renewal)

I would say wait till Feb to see how the timelines progress. If there is still not a lot of movement, call USCIS and first take an infopass appointment to get a I-551 stamp on your passport. You can explain to the Rep that this is needed due to your travel schedule (get a letter from the employer)

On 10/1/2019 at 11:07 AM, neils09 said:

I tried searching for this but couldn't find a good answer. Here is our situation:

1. Submitted N400 recently. Decision time shows as June 2020

2. Our GC expires in July 2020

3. Current GC renewal time is 11-12 months. 

4. USCIS recommends applying for GC renewal close to 6 months to expiry

How do I reconcile #3 and #4? It seems if our citizenship doesn't come in time, we will end up with an expired GC for a while (up to 5-6 months). And my job requires frequent international travels. So would love to hear from the gurus if there is something I am missing/ any way to resolve this potential gap when I can't travel. 

Thanks!

Don't waste money applying for green card renewal. If your N-400 is still pending when your green card is close to expiring, make an appointment at your local office to get an I-551 stamp, which they should give you since you have a pending N-400.

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2019 at 3:06 PM, newacct said:

Don't waste money applying for green card renewal. If your N-400 is still pending when your green card is close to expiring, make an appointment at your local office to get an I-551 stamp, which they should give you since you have a pending N-400.

Yeah ok, and what happens if the N-400 is not approved? 

23 hours ago, LivingOnE1 said:

Yeah ok, and what happens if the N-400 is not approved? 

Why would it not be approved? If the fail the test or something they can apply again.

In the highly unlikely case their N-400 is not approved and they are not filing N-400 again, they can file I-90 to renew their green card then, and still get an I-551 stamp while it is pending.

• 1 month later...
On 11/15/2019 at 3:21 PM, newacct said:

Why would it not be approved? If the fail the test or something they can apply again.

In the highly unlikely case their N-400 is not approved and they are not filing N-400 again, they can file I-90 to renew their green card then, and still get an I-551 stamp while it is pending.

OK, let me rephrase. Still have not applied. GC expires in 3 months. What happens if my application is rejected?  I have good reasons to be a bit afraid (read some other posts of mine).