visitor visa - length of stay

kkb1984

I mom will be visiting us in USA on visitor visa. I have a question related to the length of stay. I have learned that one can stay only for 6 months during a single visit ?  is that true.

My mom will first visit me for 2 months and they stay with my family in Canada for 2 months. Upon her entry back into US with this 6 month limitation reset ?

Yes, 6 months at a stretch is what allowed for visitor visa. It does reset at point of entry each time. I-94 is issued for up to six months only. Make sure the passport is valid and visa and valid for entire length. Otherwise, I-94 will expire on expiring these documents - check her stamp.

She may be asked to show return ticket and can be issued entry for up to return date that is under six months.

13 hours ago, care_candidate said:

Yes, 6 months at a stretch is what allowed for visitor visa. It does reset at point of entry each time.

It does not for "turns around a flagpole", i.e., trips to Canada or Mexico. The authorities know about these transparent attempts to get another 6 months...

Archived