Child born in India to US Citizen - Child cannot travel due to medical reasons.

shamnalan

Myself and my wife are naturalized US Citizens and our Child was born in India a week ago.  The USCIS directions states that child should be physically present at the Consulate (Chennai for me)  for the Citizenship and Passport approval. My child had some medical restrictions which may prevent her from travelling for sometime and there is serious concern of infection. Is there an alternate process I can undergo to get the baby's Citizenship + passport approved without her having to be physically present at the Consulate. 

13 hours ago, shamnalan said:

Myself and my wife are naturalized US Citizens and our Child was born in India a week ago.  The USCIS directions states that child should be physically present at the Consulate (Chennai for me)  for the Citizenship and Passport approval. My child had some medical restrictions which may prevent her from travelling for sometime and there is serious concern of infection. Is there an alternate process I can undergo to get the baby's Citizenship + passport approved without her having to be physically present at the Consulate. 

Your child's US citizenship is automatic and involuntary at birth; it just needs to be proved, and that can be done at any age. If your child can't travel, then she doesn't have much need for a passport anyway. Why don't you wait until she can travel and then apply for her passport?

Thanks a lot for the reply, I was also looking for options for her treatment in US (still researching) and if all falls in place wanted to minimize her travel needs (especially inside India due to infection risks). She will not be really safe for normal travel until a correction surgery, thats why I was looking for ways to possibly eliminate a travel to the Consulate.

Thanks a lot for the reply, I was also looking for options for her treatment in US (still researching) and if all falls in place wanted to minimize her travel needs (especially inside India due to infection risks). She will not be really safe for normal travel until a correction surgery, thats why I was looking for ways to possibly eliminate a travel to the Consulate.

Why don't you contact the consulate and discuss your case details and medical recommendations from the doctors, I am pretty sure, they should be able to help you out in some way, may be someone can come down to the home/hospital to verify? Again it is my assumption but getting in touch with the consulate won't hurt.

Good Luck, I pray your daughter gets well soon! Hopefully things will work out for you.

Archived