H-1B SEVIS HIT (221G)

Sisir Sagar

I have encountered a situation during my consulate interview on Dec-17-2018 in Hyderabad, India. The Consulate retained my passport, but, mentioned a SEVIS HIT, indicating that the transition from F-1 status to H-1B status is not reflected in their records (assured that it's no fault of mine). I received a case tracker number on a 221(g) form with the "Your application requires additional administrative processing before a final decision can be made" check box ticked, and the officer said that it should hopefully be resolved in 3-5 business days.

I looked up the SEVP portal and my OPT/STEM status shows up as inactive, implying that the H-1B should've kicked in w.e.f. 10/01/2018. 

Appreciate it if anyone can shed some light on how to get this resolved/how similar issues were resolved in the past.

23 hours ago, gopalakrishnach said:

I can understand how you feel. I also faced 221G but for different scenario. First talk with your employer and your attorney and try to get what your exact situation is. I guess for 221G beside waiting you cannot do anything...

I did notify my Immigration team, Gopal. All they said was, "Notify us when you hear from the Consulate". The reason the consulate gave me was: "SEVIS HIT". Apparently, the transition from F-1 to H-1B doesn't reflect in their database yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived