Father paid for school tuition, but husband claimed on taxes

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, ThibaR said:

The school tuition for Masters was paid by my father wholly from India. But my  husband claimed it (I was his dependant on H-4 for one year, and moved over to F-1 the second year) as a deduction in his income taxes, both years. I would like to know whether that amounts to tax fraud.

Edited question - my apologies. Please let me know whether the same answer stands.

@pontevecchio Confirming tax laws and wondering whether the source of the money matters, or just what was spent on the tuition.

Edited by ThibaR
Extra details added
Link to comment
20 hours ago, directory0818 said:

You legally (on h4) spent ur fathers hard earned money (already tax paid) for ur studies. Your spouse claimed it as a deduction is correct as its ur right since you already paid the tuition fee+tax to ur university.

No, it is not, unless her husband also declared the money as foreign income/gift, which may be taxable.

Edited by JoeF
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.