i -94 Expired and I 797 Still Valid 2019 Sep

Yesterday I came to know that my I-94 is already expired on 31 th Dec  2017, and right now I am out of status, but I have approved I-797, which has expiration Sep, 2019.

When I recently entered into US on 18th Dec 2016, POE officer put 31th Dec 2017 date on I-94, because I have visa stamp from my previous employer expired on 31 th Dec 2017 , and officer did not ask for my I-797 from my current employer which, has expiry date Sep, 2019. Now I have no idea what to do. Since It has been more than 6 months to my I-94 expiration, I might have to leave USA immediately and I will be ban to enter USA for 3 years on any visa. After googling about this issue came to know following are the options for me:-

1. Go to near by CBP office and get I-94 updated(its too risky, specially, it has been more than 6 months to I-94 expiration)

2. Apply for H1B extension with Nunc pro tunc process.

This is very serious situation for me. Please help me what is the best way to solve this problem. I will really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Ajchalasani, 

So if I understood correctly, is that your I-94 was already expired when you got a new I-94 corrected. 

My I-94 was stamped in my old passport and my extension is in process. 2 days prior to my I-94 expiring my lawyers advised against traveling to Mexico to have my new passport stamped. 

How long after your I-94 expire did you leave and reenter? 

Thanks, 

• 10 months later...
On 3/9/2018 at 11:19 AM, Ajchalasani said:

I've been through the same situation but just crossed the border in Mexico and was able to get a new I-94 issued there without any issues. Crossed the border near San Diego. Hope this Helps. 

Hello,

Please suggest what steps you followed to cross the border? Did you take an appoitnment? I am in the same situation to extend my i94 after passport renewal.

Thanks,

Archived