OPT Eligibility

Irene

I'm currently on H4 visa. I have filed for Change of Status to F1 in August 2017. USCIS Vermont center is processing my application. Current pace says it may take 9 months ie,  May 2018 for my case to be reviewed by them.  I'm graduating in May 2018. I can file opt only till July 3rd 2018.

Do I risk loosing OPT in case my visa doesn't get approved by June end? 

Should I postpone my graduation to Summer 2018. I have been a full time student in fall 2017 and spring 2018 but I have only 2 subjects for Spring 2018. If I postpone my graduation to Summer 2018, will my OPT eligibility be questioned on the grounds that I do not have full time status in Spring 2018? 

• 2 weeks later...

If you are on H4, why don’t you take a break?

When I graduated, my eligibility for OPT was to BE on F1 for a semester(2 terms) as full time student as in with full 9 credits(3 sub) .  Have you completed all your mandatory courses? If not you can postpone your graduation take additional electives. If you did then you can’t postpone the graduation as soon as you finish the 2 course you have to graduate. 

Always consult with your DSO for options, they would be able to guide you better

1 hour ago, Nakshathra said:

If you are on H4, why don’t you take a break?

When I graduated, my eligibility for OPT was to BE on F1 for a semester(2 terms) as full time student as in with full 9 credits(3 sub) .  Have you completed all your mandatory courses? If not you can postpone your graduation take additional electives. If you did then you can’t postpone the graduation as soon as you finish the 2 course you have to graduate. 

Always consult with your DSO for options, they would be able to guide you better

That depends on the university.

The law only requires that the person is in good standing for the academic year before applying for OPT, and of course, since OPT is part of the H1, the person has to be in F1 status when applying for it.

A university can of course have stricter rules.

Archived