Getting paid for research outside of work on H1B

gulatin2

I have been working in US on H1B visa since the past 9 years, and presently waiting for my priority date to become current.  As a hobby, I do financial analysis of public companies to discover investment opportunities. Recently I have made contact with a research group that liked one of my investment idea and wants to present it to an institutional money manager. If investment idea generates profitable return for the money manager, profits will be shared, and research group wants to find out if profits can be split in three.  It is my understanding that on a H1B visa I cannot accept any payment outside of my work , but I am curious to know if my share of profits can be parked in a trust account that I can withdraw once I have my green card issued. Would appreciate your advice on my current situation.

On 7/28/2017 at 4:46 PM, gulatin2 said:

I have been working in US on H1B visa since the past 9 years, and presently waiting for my priority date to become current.  As a hobby, I do financial analysis of public companies to discover investment opportunities. Recently I have made contact with a research group that liked one of my investment idea and wants to present it to an institutional money manager. If investment idea generates profitable return for the money manager, profits will be shared, and research group wants to find out if profits can be split in three.  It is my understanding that on a H1B visa I cannot accept any payment outside of my work , but I am curious to know if my share of profits can be parked in a trust account that I can withdraw once I have my green card issued. Would appreciate your advice on my current situation.

You need to get in touch with an immigration attorney.

Archived