Passport expiration and visa stamping

Aarav27

Hello everyone,

I just realized that my wife's passport is expiring on 11/29/2017. And, current H1B/H4 petition validity is until 01/30/2018.
We have stamping scheduled in India in April next month and DS-160 form is based on current passport number (expiration date 11/29/2017).

1) Do we have to renew the passport and carry that in visa interview?
2) Since DS-160 form in based on current passport, the new passport will be stamped with visa?
3) If consulate don't accept the new passport, my wife will get visa stamp end date as the passport expiry date 11/29/2017 or same as H1B/H4 petition end date 01/30/2018?

Please advice.

1 hour ago, shekar11# said:

1. You should be good. No issues.

2. Go with old passport.

3. She will get visa till 1/30/2018. But I-94 will be issued till 11/29/2017. But you can apply for extension 6 months before if you are within US.

Thanks shekar11.

1) Do we have to renew the passport and carry that in visa interview?

Yes. I think it should have 6 months validity

2) Since DS-160 form in based on current passport, the new passport will be stamped with visa?

New passport will be stamped. DS-160 will be edited at finger printing place, carry both cancelled and new.

I carried both and they accepted new passport and edited the application. 

3) If consulate don't accept the new passport, my wife will get visa stamp end date as the passport expiry date 11/29/2017 or same as H1B/H4 petition end date 01/30/2018?

They will accept new passport

• 2 weeks later...

We could not renew the passport since we dint have enough time to collect documents and submit renew application.

However, we have atleast 6 months validity from the date of visa interview.

Visa Interview date: April 11th, 2017

Passport expiration date:  November 29th, 2017

I am hoping that things should be fine.

• 5 months later...
On 3/26/2017 at 8:25 PM, Sharma27 said:

We could not renew the passport since we dint have enough time to collect documents and submit renew application.

However, we have atleast 6 months validity from the date of visa interview.

Visa Interview date: April 11th, 2017

Passport expiration date:  November 29th, 2017

I am hoping that things should be fine.

How did it finally turn out? Please share your experience and what dates you got for H1B visa and I-94. I am in a similar situation, and Indian authorities won't even let me renew my passport even if I wanted to (because it is expiring in 1.5 years from now). I'm not sure what could be done...

Archived