OPT application after H1B application

RDSJOSE

I will be graduating on August 23rd. 

-          After I have applied H1B (general quota) on April 1st, I need to apply my Masters OPT (F1) on May 23rd  (90 Days before my graduation).

-          This OPT will allow me to be in status from the period between my graduation (Aug 23rd) and H1b start date (Oct 1st). 

-          Will USCIS deny my OPT application since H1B is picked up in the lottery and under process?

May be because I can’t have dual work-authorization in the USCIS at the same time.

-          If yes, will I go out of status in the period between Aug 23rd till Oct 1st? And if there is any solution?

On 2/19/2017 at 3:32 AM, RDSJOSE said:

I will be graduating on August 23rd. 

-          After I have applied H1B (general quota) on April 1st, I need to apply my Masters OPT (F1) on May 23rd  (90 Days before my graduation).

-          This OPT will allow me to be in status from the period between my graduation (Aug 23rd) and H1b start date (Oct 1st). 

-          Will USCIS deny my OPT application since H1B is picked up in the lottery and under process?

May be because I can’t have dual work-authorization in the USCIS at the same time.

-          If yes, will I go out of status in the period between Aug 23rd till Oct 1st? And if there is any solution?

Do you have an employer who is ready to file your H1B this April? H1 is not a visa that you can apply on your own.

On 2/20/2017 at 2:40 PM, RDSJOSE said:

Hi Shekar,

My company is processing regular H1b. In this case, by July-August I should be able to know the results.

Now if I have applied OPT in the month of June, will that get rejected?

Ask him for premium processing. You can pay for that. In that way you will know the result sooner and avoid confusion. Regular processing can take several months. No guarantee you will get a result by July or August. Also if you graduating on August 23rd. You can apply OPT even in August right. Why so soon.

Archived