Indian Gay student in USA - asylum options

shadowvvit

currently on f1 in the USA, came here in 2014. I have been openly gay and was beaten up multiple times by religious groups back in India, police laughed when asked to file reports and threatened to file a case against me as homosexuality is illegal. I do have a credible fear of going back and wish to seek asylum what are my options ? does the US recognize asylum requests for persecution on grounds of sexuality?

You should get in touch with a lawyer from murthy or some other reputed firm. Do you have any evidence that this happened with you?

You might come under "member of social group category".

My two cents, did you try contacting any senior police officers or NGO in india? There are thousands of people who are openly gay in india and i have not heard anyone being beaten up randomly. According to me your grounds for asylum look flimsy at best at least in USA.

why dont you speak with few European consulates? they have more liberal attitude towards this

6 hours ago, pontevecchio said:

Discretion has always been the better part of valor. After all external appearances do not indicate LBBT. I would suggest involving the firm of Murthy with your concerns and go forward.

It is a bad idea to suggest that people should hide things. Being gay is nothing to be ashamed of. And hiding it can actually result in lots of mental issues.

The OP needs to discuss his situation with a good immigration lawyer.

Nobody is suggesting hiding things. What the hell does openly gay mean? One is entitled to ones way of life and sexual preferences without hindrance from so called politically correct people and also bigots. He does not want or need or expect  psychological counselling in an Immigration forum. The obvious solution is to consult a lawyer as advised.

2 hours ago, pontevecchio said:

Nobody is suggesting hiding things. What the hell does openly gay mean?

It means not hiding it. Not hiding it from family, friends, nor the general public. AKA "coming out". You talking about "discretion" is what amounts to hiding things. Hiding it, not telling friends and family, is what causes problems. Great that you agree that one is entitled to one's way of life or sexual preferences without hindrance.

Archived