New I 94 after passport renewal

Kate123

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know how I renewed my I 94 after renewing my passport..

I took Canadian visa at New York and following week end I drove to Derby Line, VT. I entered Canada and immediately made a U turn to US. At the port of entry CBP officer asked me how many days I stayed in Canada. I told them that I made an immediate U turn to US and I explained the reason. No other questions were asked... CBP officer issued a new I 94

Overall it was pretty easy, except that it I had to waste two days to get Canadian visa... One day I submitted the passport and they asked me to pick the visa on following day...

I would highly recommend for the folks living in new england area to do the same instead of going all the way to Mexico.

If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am in a similar situation. My I94 is expiring next month but I do have a valid Visa.

I live in NJ and planning to attend NY Canadian embassy.

When i went through the NY embassy web site, i found it got only drop box facility but NO personal appearance.

I have couple of questions. It would be great if you can answer.

1) When you went to NY consulate to submit your documents, did someone verify your documents and said you are good to go and asked you to collect your Passport next day? (or) did you drop off your documents and later you were informed about its status through mail.

2) This question is regarding one of the section in the application form. It is about "any contact person you know in canada". But i do't know anybody. But i have my hotel booked in canada. So, what exactly i need to fill in there.

Your help is highly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

See my answers below :

Hi,

I am in a similar situation. My I94 is expiring next month but I do have a valid Visa.

I live in NJ and planning to attend NY Canadian embassy.

When i went through the NY embassy web site, i found it got only drop box facility but NO personal appearance.

I have couple of questions. It would be great if you can answer.

1) When you went to NY consulate to submit your documents, did someone verify your documents and said you are good to go and asked you to collect your Passport next day? (or) did you drop off your documents and later you were informed about its status through mail.

--Yes, even though it says drop box, you actually submit documents to a person. They verify all the docs, but make sure you take all the docs as per check list. Also, use the check list on buffalo canada embassy website. It tells you exact document to submit. Once all the documents are verified, they will ask you to come following day to pick up passport/visa.

2) This question is regarding one of the section in the application form. It is about "any contact person you know in canada". But i do't know anybody. But i have my hotel booked in canada. So, what exactly i need to fill in there.

--I did not knew any one... I mentioned that I would like to visit Niagara falls and on my way back I will extend my I 94. Thats all I mentioned.

Your help is highly appreciated.

Archived