No Valid Drivers License

NoValidDL

In 2014, I was driving with Expired Virginia Driver's License in Florida and was given ticket for "No Valid Driver's License", the ticket said "Criminal Violation Court appearance required". I was not arrested, but police collected my right hand thumb finger print on the ticket and gave the ticket to me. Hired a lawyer and plea not guilty. I was put in the deferred prosecution agreement for the next year to not violate any criminal traffic laws. After one year(2015) the charges were dropped and I have certified copy of disposition document from the court and was able to download the whole case from the court website.

So when filling the DS 160 form, do I need to say "yes" or "No" for this question.

Have you ever been arrested or convicted for any offense or crime, even though subject of pardon, amnesty, or other similar action?

If Yes, what all documents do I need to carry for the H1B Visa stamping in India. I am in my 10 year of H1 B.

Thank you for the help.

No, I did not went out of the country or go through Port of Entry after the ticket. Is there any way I can check about this? I looked at the Livescan companies and In Florida they provide livescan report only for agencies and not for Individuals. Can any one guide me to get a livescan or a similar record report in Florida?

You MUST say yes and provide specific papers when asked. You should have everything from start to end i.e. citation/ticket, deferred prosecution agreement, certified copy of disposition and there might also be a court rap sheet.

Also, I would consult with an experienced Immigration attorney to actually provide me the text to write in response to that question on DS-160 - DO NOT use your own words.

From what you have described this should not be of any concern in the decision to approve a visa/GC etc. It is not a CIMT.

HOWEVER, failure to disclose will be the worst case. I don't remember the legal term/charge on that but anything like forgetting to provide details etc. is treated as wilful misrepresentation to obtain benefits.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived