will changing employers frequently affect GC?

viddu512

Hello - I'm into my 7th year of H1B. I've I-140 approval from a previous employer. This is my 4th employer. My current employer has filed for chapter 11. The situation is okay for now and has received additional funding to continue to operate to recover from bankruptcy, but the future seems uncertain with potential layoff or acquisition. I do have an offer from another company in hand which is willing to do my green card as well.

I'm in a dilemma whether to accept this offer from the new employer OR continue to work for my current company which has filed for chapter 11. It might well recover from bankruptcy and continue to operate but long term future is uncertain.

I'm worried that changing employers again may reflect poorly on my employment record or affect my chances of me green card with more questioning as to why I changed jobs and RFEs and also due to the overwhelming amount of paperwork I'd have to collect again from all my previous employers for green card process. This worries me and makes me feel that I should continue to work at my current company. But I also do not want to risk my legal working status.

Please advise. Thanks.

The immigration attorney for the company is aware of this situation and has assured me that it'll not be an issue because even after filing chapter 11 they've gotten I-140 approvals. 

However, please advise if changing employers frequently as I have (4th employer in 7 years) will impact GC process. Thanks.

The immigration attorney for the company is aware of this situation and has assured me that it'll not be an issue because even after filing chapter 11 they've gotten I-140 approvals. 

However, please advise if changing employers frequently as I have (4th employer in 7 years) will impact GC process. Thanks.

if your employer recovers from the Bankruptcy and he should be in a position of continuing interest in sponsoring GC for you. In future if there are additional queries, will he be in a position to support with appropriate documentation...? 

Again it's completely dependent on the company's financial status and operations in future... 

Also as long as you have all the supporting documents from your previous employer, it should be a problem changing employers..

Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk

Archived