Desi Consultant asking for money

nicko258

Hi,

I am working for ABC consultancy on OPT for the last one year during which they filed my H-1 which got approved on consular based processing. In the meantime, I also filed for my STEM extension which also got approved (currently I am on my STEM). Now after one year the end client has decided to take me full time and they have initiated the change of employer process on premium processing. Being a loyal employee I informed my consultancy and they did not take it properly the news of me joining the end client. My consultancy guy got mad at me and told me to pay 10k as I have signed the non-compete for not taking any offers with the vendor or the end client. Is there anything I can do to stop my consultancy from harassing me for asking that much money? Can I talk to the lawyers assigned to my case by the end client?

Any help is much appreciated! Thank you!

Edited by nicko258

Non-compete agreements are usually valid (except in California.) You need to work with your new employer to get that resolved. You should have told them from the start that you signed a non-compete.

And next time, don't sign something if you don't understand the consequences.

Edited by JoeF
  • 2 weeks later...