Is there any grace period given post expiry of i94 or filing of COS will allow me to stay in the country post i94 expiry?

Sunali

H1B is expiring 04/30 and i94 is valid only till 05/10. My project is ending around end of April and if I don't get new a project then employer wont file for extension and so I will have to leave the country. Also given the COVID situation around in case I am not able to leave the country by 05/10 then will i get some grace period to stay back? or do I have to file for COS to visitors visa in order to stay in the country?
Thanks

On 4/9/2020 at 10:22 AM, gopalakrishnach said:

Leaving out of USA is one of the biggest dilemma everyone is facing. What your employer say? Do your employer work with any attorney? I guess you can ask them and let us know what they say.

I see a lot of posts like this here. We give our opinions but the POSTERS are not hman enough to let us know what they decided to do...

I am trying to check with their attorney but didn't received any response. Will let you all know once I get to know anything. Thanks 

On 4/9/2020 at 3:27 PM, User099 said:

Apply for COS to B2 and leave once things get better. Don't wait for the B2 to be adjudicated and don't think you can switch back to H1 without leaving the country. 

Yes i will have to do that if dont get new project. I mean leave little later in the month of May. I wont wait for B2 adjudication. Thanks 

On 4/9/2020 at 7:35 PM, JoeF said:

Once the I-94 expires you are overstaying and it is not possible to file any COS.

The only way to stay is to file a COS, e.g., to B2 (or H4 if you are married and your spouse in on H1 before the I-94 expires.

Yes I am aware of that. I will be filing COS before expiry only. Its just wanted to check if any option other than filing as I will have to leave the country around end of may or whenever things get better in terms of COVID. Sooner the better. Thanks