Got 221g Yellow in Toronto, Can I go back to US with my current valid H1b?

On 12/16/2019 at 12:23 PM, TorotoIsCold said:

Hi,

Just did interview today and got a 221g saying that require more information. I sent the email and now the status of my interview is ap.

The VO did nothing on my current visa so my current H1b is still valid, I also have my i797. Can I travel back to US with those? 

Will CBP knows anything about my h1b renewal thing? 

You can travel back if you have a valid visa. No issues. You can just explain them. Once you get an email response back saying 221G cleared, then you can go back to Canada and submit your passport for visa stamping.

Check this out.. If you apply for a new nonimmigrant visa you cannot take advantage of automatic revalidation.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/visa-expiration-date/auto-revalidate.html

If feel once you attend H1B interview even though you have expired or valid visa you cannot enter back into USA on 221G.

I may be wrong. Please confirm with others.

21 hours ago, gopalakrishnach said:

Check this out.. If you apply for a new nonimmigrant visa you cannot take advantage of automatic revalidation.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/visa-expiration-date/auto-revalidate.html

If feel once you attend H1B interview even though you have expired or valid visa you cannot enter back into USA on 221G.

OP is not planning to use AVR. OP wants to make use of existing visa which usually gets revoked when you appear for h1b renewal. OP, I suspect your existing visa is valid. They do not need to write anything on the passport or physically cancel the visa to revoke it, they can simply do it in the system. I would confirm with Toronto consulate before attempting to cross border because if you are denied entry by CBP based on expired visa then you have another thing to explain next time you apply for visa or entry at a cbp post.

On 12/17/2019 at 2:25 PM, shekar11# said:

You can travel back if you have a valid visa. No issues. You can just explain them. Once you get an email response back saying 221G cleared, then you can go back to Canada and submit your passport for visa stamping.

Yeah that's sounds right, if the visa is still valid, I think I will just do that.

On 12/17/2019 at 4:05 PM, gopalakrishnach said:

I don't think I can use that one though... I already had the interview so if I am asked about that I couldn't lie.

4 hours ago, xTDx said:

OP is not planning to use AVR. OP wants to make use of existing visa which usually gets revoked when you appear for h1b renewal. OP, I suspect your existing visa is valid. They do not need to write anything on the passport or physically cancel the visa to revoke it, they can simply do it in the system. I would confirm with Toronto consulate before attempting to cross border because if you are denied entry by CBP based on expired visa then you have another thing to explain next time you apply for visa or entry at a cbp post.

Yeah thanks for the advice! I sent an email to them earlier today. Hope to get response soon, I guess it's still valid because I might withdraw it and in that case the old visa should still be valid I think.

I got the email response this morning and I asked for the validity of my current visa stamp on my passport, they said

'Please visit the following website.  (see how do I read and understand my visa)'.

I think the answer is I just need to check my passport? 

I also checked my visa application status of previous visa, it was still issued and no update since last time(~10 months ago).

Any suggestions? Should I try get back to work maybe after Christmas?