B2 visa for my elder sister

Debomitro

Hello,

I'm currently on H1B visa and planning to bring my elder unmarried sister on B2 visa. She is currently working as a teacher in a semi-govt school in India.

I heard of few denials in such cases. So, what are the things I need to take care before applying the visa? Any specific documents needed in this case other than general B2 visa docs?

Kindly advise.

If your sister is planning a visit, you need to stay out of it if you want her to get her visa. I suspect this will be during School vacation and if she articulates her intentions in brief if asked, she has a good chance even if you are paying for the trip. No documents are necessary except maybe a letter from the school stating she works there on so and so salary and is expected to return to work after the trip ONLY to be shown if requested.

Let us know what happens.

8 hours ago, Debomitro said:

Hello,

I'm currently on H1B visa and planning to bring my elder unmarried sister on B2 visa. She is currently working as a teacher in a semi-govt school in India.

I heard of few denials in such cases. So, what are the things I need to take care before applying the visa? Any specific documents needed in this case other than general B2 visa docs?

Kindly advise.

She need to prove strong ties to home country!

The way it works is the VO based on his experience and his innate feelings about people makes a decision based on the form filled up and a couple of minutes with you where he assesses credibility and makes up his mind. So any replies seemingly coached and not spontaneous will be a problem. The majority will not let their preconceived intent sway them in terms of issuing the visa. 

There is nothing called proving you will come back or strong ties. Both of these are decided in the few minutes at the counter based on the form filled and answers to a few questions and the experience of the VO. Intent is a frame of mind. The moment you decide she cannot negotiate the process herself she is at a disadvantage.

Is the process foolproof? No.  Are they out to get you? Usually not.

Will they ask for any documents? I seriously doubt it.

Archived