Travelling from US to India via London/Paris

ilovemyself2

Hi,

I am travelling from US to India, a layover in London and I have a Indian passport with expired H1b visa stamp and I have an approved I797. Is it true that I need a transit visa travelling through London/Paris?  Does it depends on layover time? If transit visa is required what is the procedure and How long would it take to get Transit visa? costs?

On 10/16/2017 at 11:03 PM, ilovemyself2 said:

Hi,

I am travelling from US to India, a layover in London and I have a Indian passport with expired H1b visa stamp and I have an approved I797. Is it true that I need a transit visa travelling through London/Paris?  Does it depends on layover time? If transit visa is required what is the procedure and How long would it take to get Transit visa? costs?

You need to get a transit visa since your visa is expired.

On French Consulate Website its clearly states that - 

You DO NOT NEED an airport transit visa if you :

• hold a valid Schengen visa, national long-stay visa or residence permit issued by one of the European Union countries;

• hold a valid residence permit issued by Andorra, Canada, Japan, San Marino or the United States of America. For the US, valid residence permits are :

• Form I-551 Permanent resident card (valid for 2 to 10 years),
      • Form I-551 Alien registration receipt card (valid for 2 to 10 years),
      • Form I-551 Alien registration receipt card (no expiry date),
      • Form I-327 Re-entry document (valid for two years — issued to holders of a I-551),
      • Resident alien card (valid for 2 or 10 years or no expiry date. This document guarantees the holder’s return only if his/her stay outside the USA has not exceeded one year),
      • Permit to re-enter (valid for two years. This document guarantees the holder’s return only if his/her stay outside the USA has not exceeded two years). The advance parole is NOT a re-entry permit.
      • Valid temporary residence stamp in the passport (valid for one year from the date of issue);

• hold a valid visa for one of the countries of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, Monaco, Andorra, San Marino, Canada, Japan or the United States of America;

• hold an expired visa for the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, Monaco, Andorra, San Marino, Canada, Japan or the United States of America but you are leaving the country which delivered it (for e.g., if you are an Indian citizen holding an expired US visa and flying to Dubai via Paris, and if you do not plan to leave the international zone of the airport, you do not need to apply for a Schengen visa of any kind);

• are a spouse/minor child of a European Union citizen;
    • hold a diplomatic passport;

Source: https://chicago.consulfrance.org/Airport-transit-visa

Archived