First Day CPT for Second Masters - H1B Motion pending - Safe?

Rajeshh1b

Hello, I am waiting a decision on my motion to reopen case for denied H1B application for 6 months. Since my OPT is expiring in a month, my employer wants me to enroll for second masters and continue to work on CPT at client location ABC because my motion to reopen is pending and H1B is field for client ABC. So, according to my employer , it's best to and work on CPT at same client for the case. 

The university is H A R R I S B U R G and it offers CPT from Day 1. CPT is an integral part of the program. I had a CPT earlier for 3 months (Internship during first masters). This university offers CPT for the duration of the program (2 years). How safe is going for CPT on day 1 of second masters when a motion to reopen H1B case is pending. I get mixed feedback online. Some say it's risky,  some say it's legal. If USCIS denies COS, option is to go back to home country and get stamping. How easy is this process? 

This university offers CPT on day 1 because it's an integral part of the program. What do you think? 

That is a REALLY BAD idea!

CPT from day one is fraud. It will kill your career in the US. And it can never be for some arbitrary client. That means it is NOT an "integral part" of the curriculum, contrary to their claims. CPT is only for applying things you learn in class to a real-world scenario. That means it can never be for work in some client project that may not be related to the particular class.

Find a better employer, one who doesn't push you to commit fraud.

Hi.I enrolled in college for my second Master's and started working from day1 on CPT.that college offers CPT from days 1 and this year my H1B not only approved but also COS approved. I have too many friend who got their H1B and COS approved eveb they also started working from day 1. I do not see any issues in working on CPT from day 1

19 hours ago, Iumair85 said:

Hi.I enrolled in college for my second Master's and started working from day1 on CPT.that college offers CPT from days 1 and this year my H1B not only approved but also COS approved. I have too many friend who got their H1B and COS approved eveb they also started working from day 1. I do not see any issues in working on CPT from day 1

You got lucky.

They are cracking down on this.  You likely will get into trouble when your H1 gets extended, or when a GC is filed.

Geez. Have you guys not heard of TVU and the like???

Abuse of CPT is a bad thing and will kill your future in the US, even if you think you got away.

Wow. Even after learning about CPT abuse folks here still try to take a chance and then regret about it later.

@Iumair85: You and your friends are very lucky. But you need to know that just getting first time H-1 approved is not enough. USCIS can question you anytime during extension, during visa stamping, at port of entry or during your GC process. If they question and you don't give proper explanation all your efforts and hard work will go in vain and you will be asked to exit the country.

Archived