H1 B extension - Stamping

MuraliKanna

Hi,
I'm from Hyderabad, India and currently I live in Minnesota, US.
My employer applied my H1 B extension and still under process. I hope my petition will be approved by end of this month.

Once petition is approved, I'm planning to visit Hyderabad but my only concern is stamping. I believe it is not possible to get US visa stamp (like H1B) inside the US. 

I'm planning to get my Visa stamping before i visit to Hyderabad. So please advise what would be the best option.

Thank you!! 

Need help !! Can someone please review my case and help providing your inputs?

Hi, I have my visa appointment scheduled in Nov 2016. Below is my case, please advice chance of ris for my Visa stamping at Hyderabad.

I got my H4 Visa in 2010 Dec and came to USA. In 2011 I got H1B and started working as a full time employee for a company.
In 2013 I moved to another company as a Fulltime employee (H1B Transferred). I have my I140 cleared. But I have never been to india since 2010 Dec. 

• What are the chances of risk for my visa stamping?
  • Will I be questioned on why I did not come all these years to India?
  • This is my first h1B stamping, am worried on how it will go.
  • Is Hyderabad tough consulate?
  • What are the documents I need to take?
On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 1:25 AM, Harini VN said:

Need help !! Can someone please review my case and help providing your inputs?

Hi, I have my visa appointment scheduled in Nov 2016. Below is my case, please advice chance of ris for my Visa stamping at Hyderabad.

I got my H4 Visa in 2010 Dec and came to USA. In 2011 I got H1B and started working as a full time employee for a company.
In 2013 I moved to another company as a Fulltime employee (H1B Transferred). I have my I140 cleared. But I have never been to india since 2010 Dec. 

• What are the chances of risk for my visa stamping?
  • Will I be questioned on why I did not come all these years to India?
  • This is my first h1B stamping, am worried on how it will go.
  • Is Hyderabad tough consulate?
  • What are the documents I need to take?

Hi,

Since you are a full time employee, you should be fine. I assume your company is a reputable company and no history of issues. Otherwise too, it should not be much of a problem, but the VO may ask additional questions regarding what  your company does etc.

If your case is genuine, every consulate should be the same. It is not about tough or easy consulates, it is really about your individual case and your confidence, and situation.

In my personal experience, why you did not come to India for few years is not an issue and not something that is typically asked. There are several people who have not traveled for way longer than you and no issues/no questions. Be prepared to answer any question though, if at all asked. Be honest. Your situation may vary, but people have reasons such as there was no immediate need to travel, Your parents visited you and now you are visiting them now. You did not want to take a long leave to come to India etc. If you were on F1, it would be concerning. H1B has dual intent, and with I140, you are anyway indicating you plan to immigrate.

For H1B stamping, what you really need are:

1. Valid passport, with validity of 6 months or more remaining on the day of interview.

2. Your I797 notice (take original). (if they keep it after interview, you will get it back with passport).

3. Any old passports that have your visa stamped from the previous entry to US.

Supporting documents that you should carry (and I personally know people who have been asked for these).

1. Paystubs for last 3-4 months. Arrange with latest on top.

2. W2s for last 2 years.

3. Employment verification letter from employee.

4. LCA for your H1B petition. (See #5 as this is part of #5).

5. Preferably your entire petition. I know of someone who was asked for the whole thing and I was advised by my attorney to carry it. Better safe than sorry.

6. If you do work for a client (appears to be not the case), then a client verification letter. You may hit 221g even if you have it, but that usually clears in few days. If no client, then just ignore this one.

7. Copy of your I140 approval notice. Original is kept with employee. Ask your employer to send you a copy. This causes 221g as well, that clears once they get it. But you can avoid it if you have it. Some employers are hesitant to give it. If you have such a case, take the contact of your attorney so that you can contact them to mail to the consulate, just in case it is requested by VO. 

8. Copy of your OPT or past approval notices, I-20 etc. Usually unnecessary, but does not hurt to have them.

Other supporting documents, just in case. Do not loose sleep if you don't have/carry them:

1. Tax returns for last two years. Federal only should suffice.

2. Bank statements for last 3 months (not super critical, but take them, just in case). If multiple accounts, take the ones where you get your salary.

3. If you did MS or other education from US, carry transcripts and/or degree cert or copies of it. Recommended by my attorney, but never asked for by VO.

Check the forum for recent visa interviews, that are similar to your case.

Remember, the best experience requires only docs that are "needed". The rest of the docs are for risk mitigation so that you can produce them. I prefer to carry more and use less, than otherwise.

Archived