Travel to India H1B

kkoollive

My current H1B expires on Sep 14 2016. I also renewed my passport while i was here in USA and i now have a new passport. My I 94 expiration date is June 11 probably since thats what my old passport expiration date was.

I am planning to go to India Last week of may and come back Mid June.

Could I go and come back and then start my h1b extension process with my company. or would u prefer me starting h1b extension get my visa (premium processing) and then go.

Is it fine to travel to India with still 3 months in h1b time.

Also if I leave USA before my I-94 expires, I should be good since when I come back I will have a new I-94. But if i stay here is there a process to get a new I - 94.

• 4 weeks later...

I would advise to request your employer to start extension proceedings at the earliest.

in my case, I traveled to India and came back with barely 3 months left on my visa/I-129 approval. POE officer asked me if my employer has started extension process to which i replied that my employer initiates the process 60 days before expiry. I was asked if i have any I-140 approved since my H1 6 years limit was set to expire as well to which i responded in positive. I also got regular H1 POE questions but passed through. Didn't feel officer had any issues with it. he was just curious and doing his job :-)

Archived