Question regarding Passport Expiry

Canada_H1B_2015

Hi All,

I have few question regarding my passport. Currently i am in US on H1b. My passport is going to expire on May 2017. As per my understanding i can't renew my passport before one year i.e. May 2016. The problem is that i need to go to india on June 2016. I will be coming back in July 2016. My question is that there will be no issue if i have enter US with passport validity less than one year ?

Any suggestion will be really helpful.

Simran.

There will be no issue with entry. However, most probably, the POE officer will give you a I-94 validity that will match your passport expiry date even if your H1B petition is valid for a longer time.

After you renew your passport, then you will have to:

1) Approach a CBP deferred action site and request that they extend your I-94 to match H1B petition (this option has mixed results)

2) Exit and reenter the US to get a new I94

3) File another extension H1B petition.

BTW: If by any chance your Indian passport is non-machine readable, then you can apply for new passport even more than 1 year before expiry since all such passports are supposed to be phased out by Nov 24, 2015.

when you go india. in June 2016, u are eligible to extend ur passport as u fall under 1 year. in india u can get ur passport extended in 2 or 3 days in tatkal.   as u are NRI. they will try to give ur passport as quickly as possible

Hi All,

I have few question regarding my passport. Currently i am in US on H1b. My passport is going to expire on May 2017. As per my understanding i can't renew my passport before one year i.e. May 2016. The problem is that i need to go to india on June 2016. I will be coming back in July 2016. My question is that there will be no issue if i have enter US with passport validity less than one year ?

Any suggestion will be really helpful.

Simran.

Archived