Family members names in I-140

jaheerabbas

Hello Friends,

I got my Labor approved and am going to file for I-140. I had to mention my family members names ( Viz Wife and kids in I-140 Filing documents ) Unfortunately I am on the verg of divorce . Do I need to mention the spouse and kids name - My martial status is married as of now but I am going to get divorced in couple of months may be an year or so .

My question is should I had to mention my wife and kids name in the I-140 filing documents based on my current martial status or Can I ignore those entries as I am getting divorced . Pls advice.

Thanks/Jaheer.

As the I-140 form asks for family members, and the petitioner's representative signs it under penalty of perjury, the failure to mention even a spouse who is supposed to be divorced soon could be considered to be perjury. The identification of a relative on an I-140 form generally does not extend any benefit. When a dependent seeks an immigration benefit like an Immigrant Visa or Adjustment of Status, he or she will generally be required to show the existence of the qualifying relationship, whether that is parentage or spousal.

For specific legal advice one should consult directly with an attorney.

Archived