Kids US passport and PIO doubts

quizzer25

Hi,

I have 2 questions regarding kids US PP and PIO:

1st kid has the old US passport endorsed on the valid PIO card. Is it ok if we show the new US passport and the PIO card at the Indian immigration?

2nd kids US passport is expiring Oct 2016. I will be going to india and coming back by Jul 2016. Is it ok to travel with only 3 remaining months validity? I will apply for renewal after coming back.

Last general question is there any clarity on PIO cards. Hope I can still use them in my June/July travel.

Thanks

1. Yes. Carry BOTH the old and new passport along with PIO

2. Almost all ICAO signatory countries insist on passport validity of at least 6 months beyond the period of stay so you should get 2nd kid's passport renewed (US passport renewals only take 2-3 weeks and paperwork is very easy compared to Indian passports so you have plenty of time)

3. PIO cards now have lifelong validity per Indian Govt rule. However some non-India based airlines may not know about this and may cause issues at the time of check-in if the PIO cards printed validity date is expired. So it is advisable to get the "Lifelong validity" stamp from any FRRO office in India once you get there. You can also request this stamp at the Immigration entry point in India and see if they will stamp the PIO there itself.

Archived