Continuous residence requirement? - Plan to stay out of US

visapp

I have got my green card through my employment back in 2012 April. I stayed in US until 2015 Nov with just two trips out of US(to India) that lasted 5 weeks each. 

So, I completed the physical presence requirement of 30 months. Now, due to family and business reasons, I plan to stay in India (along with my two kids who are US citizens) for next one year or until I am close to the 90 days mark before I am eligible to apply for naturalization.

1. In order to be eligible for naturalization, Would it be ok to stay out of US for next one year if I return to US for every 5 to 5 1/2 months and stay for a week or two  weeks in US and then return to India and stay in India for next 5 months or so until the 90 day mark like I said above.

2. Also, We own a home in US which we plan to rent for next couple of years or until we return to US permanently. Hope renting our home doesn't interrupt my continuous residence requirement.

3. Is there anything else that I need to do to satisfy my continuous residence requirement like filing US taxes, maintaining driver's license etc. 

4. While in India, our kids will be going to schools in India. Hope it wouldn't be a problem for my citizenship application or eligibility.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

This would look as if you abandon your GC. And without GC, no naturalization.

Coming to the US once in a while is not enough to keep the GC.

And renting out your house would be an indication that you abandon the GC. There is precedence for that:

From another site: "For example, in Matter of Huang, the alien and her two children had resided in Japan except for brief annual visits to the U.S. to maintain permanent resident status. The BIA found that she had abandoned her lawful permanent residence since: (1) she had stayed with her sister-in law during her brief visits in spite of her ownership of a house in the U.S.;"

Archived