Bringing wife on F2 visa? Suggestions needed??

torres_stud

Hi Guys,

I recently graduated from a university and I am currently working in a big tech firm and currently I am on my OPT which will expire in June 2016. I am getting married next month for that I am traveling to India. My company has started the internal process of filing my H1-B for next year. 

I want my wife to pursue masters  in United states while living with me and we are applying for Fall 2016 admissions. However, I want to bring her in early feb or march next year. So I have this path which I am thinking to follow for the entire process if everything falls in place:

Dec (After marriage) Apply for her F2 visa > Get F2 visa > Feb, Travel to US from India > Admission approved in one of the universities > Apply to change her status from F2 to F1> (Aug) Start attending university 

Is this plan correct and am I on the right track? Is there any issue with this?

As my company is applying for my H1-b they are asking that if I need any H4 visa for my wife. So the alternative path will be

Dec (After marriage) Apply for her F2 visa > Get F2 visa > Feb, Travel to US from India > Admission approved in one of the universities > Apply to change her status from F2 to F1> (Aug) Start attending university > Oct, My H1-B approved > Her status approved and changed from F1 to H4

Which path is better and are there any other suggestions?

I would really appreciate the replies. Thanks

If you / your wife would want her to be able to qualify for OPT then she must be enrolled in university in F-1 status. She can attend school in H-4 status but will not be eligible for OPT.

Thanks for the reply. I understand this. I will probably let her be on F-1 visa. So is my first plan alright. Bringing her in US on F2 visa and then convert it into F1?

Archived