Unclear about current visa

dggem87

Hello

I was in the US for a year on H4 visa. I sent in an H4 extension application to USCIS a month before visa expiry and got their acknowledgment of receipt in a week. However, I had to come to India while the application was pending with USCIS and exited the US a week before my visa expired.

I am continuing in India since my return and now I am applying for further studies to the US and intend to enroll as an international student (F1) next year. Now my previous H4 visa is expired and the H4 extension decision is unclear.

I am confused about what to enter for the question, "Do you have a valid US visa?" when filling university applications. If the extension goes though, does it mean I have an H4 visa? Or does this extension not apply to visa and is only indicative of status, so that now I dont have any US visa at all?

Would be grateful for any guidance on how to answer, since my deadlines for application submissions are fast approaching but I cannot submit without answering this question accurately.

Thank you!

Regards

dg

Archived