OPT Denied, what are my next options

GPK2017

Hi Experts,

I have always been following this forum and learn a lot about immigration related stuff. I have a question. This is actually about a friend of mine to which I had no answers. I advised posting it on the forum for expert comments. Below is the question in her words which I trimmed a little to fit the audience here:

Facts:

Graduated in March (22) 2015. Applied for my OPT in January (24) 2015.  Got RFE in June , Submitted all the required documents by Aug 20th. Received denial email on Oct 28th,  Did not receive the actual notice yet. I had used CPT for 7 months  (part time) and 2 months full time towards the end of education. I have read the forum and i know CPT is pain but I would want to keep my inquiries more towards what is next

Now my Questions and to understand my options.so

1. I came to know that I have a grace period of 30 days,

1a.  During this time, can I take an admission in the same or different college and reinstate my SEVIS (I have F1 Visa valid till 2018),

1b. When I get an I-20 from a new college should the classes start before this 30 days or it is sufficient if  I have I-20 and SEVIS updated by college.

2. I do not yet know my SEVIS status. my DOS is on leave for this week,

2a. Will it be terminated  upon denial notice or will they take some time to update the status allowing me to contemplate my options.

2b. Are there any other means to know about SEVIS status apart from DSO. The USCIS NCSC does not help.

2c. Under what conditions will I have to leave the country i.e do I have any chance still at maintaining my status. 

Can you please explain what I can do now.

Thanks in advance for being considerate and reading thru all this.

Thanks guys for the replies. My friend just updated me with her status

1. The SEVIS says completed.

2. USCIS was not able to provide any detail.

3. She called the SEVIS help desk , and they informed her, that her OPT was denied becasue she applied for H1 , when her OPT application was in in  process.

Even i was confused and tried ot search , if there was ever a denial advising you applied for H1, so OPT denied, but thats the feedback she got.

She found a couple of universities which have admissions for late Dec and she is trying to get the I-20 by end of Nov by which she will fulfill two conditions, 

1. New i-20 within 30 days.

2. less than 30 days to scool start.

Any suggestions if this approvach is wrong or right would be appreciated

Thanks guys for the replies. My friend just updated me with her status

1. The SEVIS says completed.

2. USCIS was not able to provide any detail.

3. She called the SEVIS help desk , and they informed her, that her OPT was denied becasue she applied for H1 , when her OPT application was in in  process.

Even i was confused and tried ot search , if there was ever a denial advising you applied for H1, so OPT denied, but thats the feedback she got.

She found a couple of universities which have admissions for late Dec and she is trying to get the I-20 by end of Nov by which she will fulfill two conditions, 

1. New i-20 within 30 days.

2. less than 30 days to scool start.

Any suggestions if this approvach is wrong or right would be appreciated

Reasoning for denial does not sound convincing.

http://www.murthy.com/2013/09/28/immigration-myth-180-day-grace-period-after-denial/

The actual letter came yesterday.H1 technically was not the actual reason. SEVIS customer care as per her was wrong.  

The college did not do the documentation correctly which led to her OPT denial. (ex: course enrollments etc).

@JoeF: You are right.. she is contemplating her options now. hopefully something.

Archived