6 years H1B completed, can I return on L1B after 1 year?

l1b_cos_h1b

My H1B 6 years is around 1.5 years away. My employer is unable to start the GC process now but has offered to transfer me to Canada for one year.

After one year, I have to go through the cap H1B which I want to avoid as it may be go to lottery.

Instead of H1B, can I come back on L1B as there is no cap limit on L1B?

Appreciate your answers.

Thanks jairichi. I had a question regarding 1 year calculation if I come for 2-3 visits to US during that period.

Say I leave the country on 1/1/2016. Through the year I travel to US for business meetings - around 30 days in one year.

So will I be eligible to apply for L1B after 2/1/2016. Is my understanding correct?

As I may have to come and visit customers, I will have to keep a record of the number of days in US. What is the best way to do it? Any suggestion?

Thanks jairichi. I had a question regarding 1 year calculation if I come for 2-3 visits to US during that period.

Say I leave the country on 1/1/2016. Through the year I travel to US for business meetings - around 30 days in one year.

So will I be eligible to apply for L1B after 2/1/2016. Is my understanding correct?

As I may have to come and visit customers, I will have to keep a record of the number of days in US. What is the best way to do it? Any suggestion?

Include the 30 days to your 1 year stay outside US to be on safer side.

Archived