L1B- H1B years calculation

vikas8236

I came to USA on L1B and stayed in USA between 2007 - 2010. After that I went back to India and stayed there for 4 years.

My New H1B was filed and approved in May 2014. I travelled to USA on Sep 2014. 

I changed by employer in March 2015 and an extension was filed, however I129 form, L1B days were calculated for 6 Years H1B Limit. 
So USCIS has given the extension for the left over period which includes my L1B stay as well. 

So is it valid to count L1B days for extension?

In one of the forum reply It says "Clock will reset only if you stayed outside US for 1 year and after that a cap subject H1B petition is filed and approved."

Since I stayed 4 years, shouldn't it be a fresh 6 year limit on H1?

My employer says that since the gap between L1 and H1 is 4 years (less than 6 years), they counted L1 days as well.

Thanks for the reply. 

This may be a silly question, but how do I check if my H1 was cap subject or not?

I checked my original I129 form which filed by my previous employer in under section 3: Numerical Limitation Information, " CAP H-1B Bachelor's Degree" is selected as type of H1 petition. 

Does it mean it was cap subject?

Please help. 
Thanks,

Vikas Agrawal

Thanks for the reply.

This may be a silly question, but how do I check if my H1 was cap subject or not?

I checked my original I129 form which filed by my previous employer in under section 3: Numerical Limitation Information, " CAP H-1B Bachelor's Degree" is selected as type of H1 petition.

Does it mean it was cap subject?

Please help.

Thanks,

Vikas Agrawal

Yes, cap subject.

My employer agreed that they wrongly calculated it however I am not sure about the next action

How does this can be corrected now? Do I need to wait till my employer files another extension or it can be correct with amendment?

What are my options on this case?

When the current H1 expired, they can just file another extension.

Archived