H4-F1 and now H4-F1

theknk1234

Hi, I am looking for some suggestions,experts please suggest...

I guess everyone on OPT/ OPT stem extension must have been familiar with OPT Stem Extension could be revoked as per Federal Judge from Feb 12 2016(which is not clear yet and still have to wait for DHS to answer)

Few Details about me :
I came to usa in March 2012, converted to F1 in September 2013 ,Graduated in Aug 2014, working since Aug 2014 
Currently I am on OPT Stem Extension which expires Jan 20th 2017( working as Junior level Web developer)

Now,
1.as i am ,i have a option to convert from F1 to H4 but  when should i apply for F1-H4 conversion?when should i send application for converting f1-h4?how many days will the process take to convert F1-H4?
2.can i specify exact date to start my H4 status? for ex:feb 13th 2016 to start my H4 status? few of my friends H4-f1 status converstion took alomost 8 months to get approvved so wanted to apply soon
3.If i send  my f1-h4 conversion in october 2015  and if i get approval of H4 before feb 12 2016 i will be safe in USA to stay but
4.what about if my F1-H4 converstion is still pending/not approved by Feb 12 2016 and beyond? is it illegal to stay in USA when conversion is still in process?
should i have to go back to india after feb 12 2016? and come back once h4 is approved? 
(one of my cousin is not going to get her GC/Citizenship for ever  as she was in USA illegally for 3 days when she got laid off on H1 and she is on EAD since 5 years and her husband is a Citizen)
4.do i have to go for VISA stamping? after F1-H4 conveted?

and 
5.how about I apply F1-H4 converstion in November 2015, Join in another college get CPT? HOW this could work? any idea?

Please help..

H4-F1  and now H4-F1

1. Before expiry of OPT STEM extension. 3 to 4 months or longer.

2. You can request but not guaranteed that USCIS will honor that request.

3. You are in legal status as long your COs to H4 is timely filed and waiting for a decision.

4. If COS is approved there is no need for visa stamping till you travel outside US.

5. Well, that will be an end to your career in US. CPT is not for working.

Thanks all for the valuable replies....

Like i have mentioned in my previous post, as of now I am on OPT Stem extension which is valid until Jan 2017..

Suppose:

I have applied F1-H4 in December 2015, status is still pending by Feb 12th 2016 and OPT Stem extension rule applies from February 12 2016( no longer OPT STEM extension valid after Feb 12 2016) 

what would be my Status? Can i still stay in USA if my F1-H4 Status is Pending after feb 12 20116 until  F1-H4 is approved.....

Please provide some suggestions 

Thanks all for the valuable replies....

Like i have mentioned in my previous post, as of now I am on OPT Stem extension which is valid until Jan 2017..

Suppose:

I have applied F1-H4 in December 2015, status is still pending by Feb 12th 2016 and OPT Stem extension rule applies from February 12 2016( no longer OPT STEM extension valid after Feb 12 2016)

what would be my Status? Can i still stay in USA if my F1-H4 Status is Pending after feb 12 20116 until F1-H4 is approved.....

Please provide some suggestions

Yes, you will be considered being in legal status & you can stay in U.S. till a decision is taken on your COS petition.
  • 1 month later...
Hello 

I'm in the same boat. I came to usa on nH4 visa , did change of status to F1 in May 2013. Graduated in Dec 2013, working since FEB 2014 

Currently I am on OPT Stem Extension which expires in Jun 2016. So basically I am on F1 status but H4 visa.

I am planning to visit India in FEB.  

Questions

Option1: Go for F1 stamping 

Do people get F1 stamping during OPT extenstion given that I am doing  F1 stampinfg first time? (H4 to F1)

Is it advisable to travel during opt ruling decision period? 

What document should I carry with me for F1 stamping? 

Option 2: Go for H4 stamping (As my H4 is expired)

Should I apply for H4 instead and apply for EAD when I return USA.

How much time it takes to get H4 EAD ?

What document should I carry with me for H4 stamping? 

Thank you so much!

Archived