F2 to F1 visa stamping in Vancouver,Canada

lionaly

Hi,

I would like to share my visa interview experience at the US consulate in Vancouver.I am an Indian citizen who moved to the US on dependent F2 visa about 4 months ago.I live in Seattle, Washington. I had plans of pursuing my masters and had an admit from University of Washington for Computer Science Program starting Sep 30th 2015. I learn't from my international adviser that the change of status from F2 to F1 would take approximately 6 months and hence I ruled out the option of applying for a COS. Instead I decided to get my F1 stamped at the US consulate in Vancouver.

So, I applied for a Temporary Resident Visa to Canada, which took about 2 weeks for the whole process. Then I booked a Visa appointment slot for Tuesday,Sep 8th 2015 at Vancouver,BC . Now getting a visa slot at Canada is not straightforward. There are hardly any slots available, so you need to keep checking the website every now and then for available slots.

On the day of the interview, I reached the consulate and was asked to show my DS-160 confirmation page, I-20 issued by the University, passport and a recent passport size photograph. My fingerprints were taken and then I had to wait almost for 45 mins as everything was slow here at the Consulate. Then I was asked to go to the 20th floor for my interview. I waited until my token number was called for the interview.

The Visa Officer asked for my Passport and I-20. He then asked me the following questions : 

Why are you going to the US?

Who is sponsoring you?

What do your parents do?

What is your husband doing?

Have you been to the US before?

Do you know any programming language?

Have you paid your SEVIS fee?

He then kept my I-20 and passport and told me that my visa was approved and gave me a green sheet which had instructions on how and when to collect my passport. I had selected the passport collection location as Loomis courier, Richmond BC, as this is very close to Vancouver. 

So my interview was on Tuesday,8th sep and my DS-160 status said 'Administrative Processing'. On Wednesday, 9th sep, my status changed to 'Issued' and Thursday, 10th sep, by 9 am I got an email saying that my passport was ready for pickup at the courier location. I picked up the passport and left to Seattle. 

Some insights - 

Carry all documents. 

US-Canada border wait times is close to an hour or more on weekends and 30 mins on weekdays.

While you enter US for the first time on F1, you will be sent inside for a secondary inspection, where your fingerprints will be taken and an admission stamp will be placed on your passport by the officer. 

This worked perfectly for me. I hope this helps others having a similar case.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 7 months later...