What happens after I submit I485 based on EVL from previous company's I140? Who submits the I485 ?

bangaloreguy78

Hi,

Lets say - I have an approved I140 from 2010 from Company A. The I140 is not revoked yet. 

I have subsequently moved to Company B since 2012.

I believe, I485 can be filed now if the original job position exists with Company A, and company A will provide the letter. Pls assume that "Company A is willing to provide the letter". 

Questions: 
1) Can I file I485 by myself ? Or Company A will have to do it using their lawyers ?

2) Can the I485 be filed without actually joining Company A ? At what stage will I have to mandatorily join Company A ?

3) When will the I485 be adjudicated ? Is it after the priority date becomes current (i.e. after many years) ? Is the purpose of I485 filing when priority date is not current just to get EAD/AP ?

Pls reply. 
Thank you !

I cannot predict that. But, your approach is correct.

Hey Jairichi, I'm just trying to get an understanding here.. Your response was to OP's message below

"So, in essence, I can get EAD/AP in few months , and then join Company A in a few years when I485 is approved, and visa numbers exist."

I think OP was asking if he could get an EAD via sponsor company "A", but then not join "A" until the I485 is approved.

I always understood that the rule was one should work with the sponsoring employer soon after the EAD is obtained.. atleast for 6 months. Please clarify.

Hey Jairichi, I'm just trying to get an understanding here.. Your response was to OP's message below

"So, in essence, I can get EAD/AP in few months , and then join Company A in a few years when I485 is approved, and visa numbers exist."

I think OP was asking if he could get an EAD via sponsor company "A", but then not join "A" until the I485 is approved.

I always understood that the rule was one should work with the sponsoring employer soon after the EAD is obtained.. atleast for 6 months. Please clarify.

The requirement to work with GC sponsoring employer is once I485 is approved as that is the basis for which GC was filed and granted.

Archived