Green Card Journey

dream4077

Folks,

I'm sharing my story which should have something of interest for members of the forum. Please trust your own judgement, ask your attorney, call USCIS for questions on your case. Hopefully this is useful.

First off, the vital stats:

EB2 PD: Oct 2006 NSC Derivative status (spouse is primary)

Part 1: Spouse Green Card

Spouse I485 was approved two weeks into June 2011 but cards sent to an old address (from the time of application). No updates to online status after “Decisionâ€.

Lesson: update the address online and via phone for specific case

USPS delivered mail to the old address (different state from current residence). We managed to convince USPS to go back and get the documents and mail them to our address. New resident had opened mail and had not bothered to notify anyone. We received documents from USPS a couple days later.

Lesson: Some people are just unscrupulous. USPS can be very helpful.

Part 2: My Green Card

I called USCIS after a couple days. First level opened an SR. It was only later when we spoke with Second level immigration officer that we realized that there was an RFE. RFE sent to old address. No surprise there. Spent an entire week trying to get to current resident but apparently overseas for the summer. The whole time first level support had no idea about RFE. When we called after updating address, they simply asked to call after two weeks or opened a service request. I had three SRs open at the end of 3 weeks but no trace of what was in the RFE.

Lesson: First level knows nothing more than you. Make sure they do not open multiple service requests. It’s probably in their manual to submit an SR whenever they are asked a question.

Lesson: Get the second level whenever possible. Each time I spoke to an Immigration Officer I learnt something new about my case. We tried providing a fax number and email address. Also, got an email address: nscsfollowup.nsc@dhs.gov

I finally received RFE in the mail 27 days after it was initially mailed to my old address. The envelope had my address handwritten (my heart almost skipped a beat). There was no color code or response envelope. Thankfully the RFE was about establishing bona-fide marriage. Bad news was that the deadline was in 3 days – one month from initial mailing date.

I created a packet of information and overnighted it to the USCIS address on the envelope. Started praying.

Lesson: There are online resources about establishing bona-fide marriage. Leave no doubt in the reviewers mind and include a recent time-stamped photograph.

Online status showed that RFE response was received and accepted. Status moved quickly to Decision and then Post decision activity. Got the CPO email. But…..there was no sign of the card.

Meanwhile, USCIS status went back to RFE!! I called USCIS and explained the situation with multiple SRs etc to the first level who promptly transferred to Immigration officer. I asked for tracking number and got it to my delight. No discussion of RFE.

But things don’t come easily to me. USPS tracking showed that package was not traceable after it was initially accepted 4 days ago. Called local post office and asked them to check back and call me back.

Also had to travel overseas in a week to attend sister’s marriage so was unsure about using AP. Decided to open an info-pass appointment to get I-551 stamp. Local office, which has never been booked, was full for the next two weeks. Got an appointment at office located 5 hours away.

Finally got the card in the mail last week. Tried to cancel infopass but didn’t have original confirmation print out which has the PIN so couldn’t cancel. Called USCIS to get input on how to cancel but they had no idea.

Lesson: When you create an info-pass appointment that is the only opportunity for you to note the PIN.

That’s it folks. Hope this was helpful.

Good luck.

Archived